lördag 8 januari 2011

The Gherkin



One day, we found ourselves wandering in the banking district. The architecture was really interesting, the mix of old and new. And this, The Gherkin. I don't really know what I think about this. The Gherkin opened at the end of May 2004. With 40 floors, the tower is 190 metres tall, and stands on the former site of the Baltic Exchange building, which was severely damaged on 10 April 1992 by the explosion of a bomb placed by the Provisional IRA. And I don't understand how they got the name "Gherkin" to stick! I mean, if a much smaller water tower in Malmö can get the nickname "kopparkuken" (copper dick), I can't imagine the work that went down not to call this massive, phallic building being called anything but!

1 kommentar:

  1. We can start calling it glaskuken or something! I actually really like this building, just because it's so different, but I can see why so many people don't.

    SvaraRadera